The songs of life- Thanks to mom


My home was filled with music and people growing up. Mom loved music and can play an assortment of instruments but her favorites are the lap dulcimer and the hammered dulcimer. I'm not certain of when she took up these pieces, but her talent and ear for music made the learning curve much shorter than most.

Mom also loves people and there was always someone over at our house playing music and enjoying fellowship.

Mom was always having dulcimer parties and with some of her friends played weddings, church events and parties for folks. My favorite was down at my aunt Becky's house just a 1/4 mile from our home. Becky would take the whole month of May to celebrate her birthday and it would culminate with a big party called "The Strawberry Jam". I'm sure there were strawberries there but I was never real sure the origin of the name.

Everyone would gather in my aunt's carport, musicians would arrive with instrument cases and chairs. There was lots of conversation and laughter. And then with some tuning up, the show would begin. No rehearsal, no real warm up, just song after song. Most of them were part of our Irish culture here in Western NC. The songs would be played and then the stories would be told. On and on this would go until folks were full, full of food, music and memories.

And really as best I can tell, it was my mom who kind of pulled it all together.

What a valuable lesson for me watching her build community with others and it has made a lasting impact on me.

Thank you mom for all you did for Steve and myself all these years. You did a fine job raising two rambunctious boys who were prone to mischief.

I am who I am because of your life, and I am grateful.

You modeled and instilled us both with a love for music, except for the part of you passing on your talent....which skipped to my kids!

You also modeled a life of caring for others and you carry on this to today.

So, Happy Mother's Day....I pray its filled with music and people, just like always.

Thanking God for you

Your son

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One year out- Remembering Dale Beatty

A soldier dispenses his views!