Kathy Griffin and 9-11

FOXNews.com - Kathy Griffin's Emmy Remarks About Jesus to Be Censored - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

Kathy Griffin was one of my favorite cameo characters on Seinfeld in her role as the obnoxious bar-b-que sauce lady. It was hilarious. She continues to be hilarious. Now I'm not one of those bloggers who rants and raves about what celebrities say or do. I don't really care. But she said something that grabbed my attention. Upon receiving her Emmy she said the following,

"a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus."

She went on to hold up her Emmy, make an off-color remark about Christ and proclaim, "This award is my god now!"

She's right, a lot of celebrities do thank God or Jesus or whatever when they accept awards. I thought about her comment. She's probably right, that Jesus didn't have anything to do with her award. But even trying to be funny, she was probably more honest than anything. She also said that the Emmy was her god now.

I believe she actually meant it. In our day we don't like to think we are a nation of idol worshipers. But we are. We worship the idols of power and fame and money. On this day as I look back at 9-11 I'm confronted with the memories of those days following the attacks. I remember people looking up for help. Psalm 121 says the following:

I look up toward the hills.

From where does my help come?

My help comes from the Lord,

the Creator of heaven and earth!

I was wondering on a day like today and if an Emmy award is you God what do you do? Do you go and pray to it and say, "Oh Emmy Award, will you please take away the pain?" "Will you bring peace to this troubled world?"

Do you pick it up in all of its glory and wave it int he air and chant an incantation for prosperity?

Where do we go when we remember this day? MSNBC ran minute for minute replays of the events of that day. I remember where I was, I was installing a sliding glass door with my friend Nate. We saw the planes hit through the window on the TV. The first thing we did was pray together. That was the first thing we did. I go to the God who created the heavens and the earth. The God who is there. The God who cannot be contained in a trophy made of metal that will melt when heat is applied. The God who weeps when His children kill each other. The God who sacrificed His own Son out of His great love. The God who overcame death through resurrection. The God who promised to return and right all the wrongs. The God who is there and here.

On this day, 9-11, I look up to the mountains and know where my help, our help comes from. My help comes from the Lord who made Heaven and Earth.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One year out- Remembering Dale Beatty

A soldier dispenses his views!