A world in need of repair

I'm not sure but I believe that little boys ought to play with guns. That may stun you as you read this, but I'm quite sure that when I was little no one had to teach me about warfare. I remember defending the woods behind my house against all enemies foreign and domestic. We trained in those 150 acres of hardwoods for war. Why? Why is it that war is such a systemic part of our lives. I'm in the Army and that’s what we do. We train and we fight. But we can't be so myopic and think that we are the only ones ever to do this. And as a Christian how does war fit in to my belief system? Or does it fit at all? It’s clear to me as I look at the world that it is broken, in need of repair. I also believe that it is broken beyond mankind's ability to restore it completely. The Bible says that even creation groans for the revealing of the sons of God (read Romans). Our creation is broken as well and it is ultimately man's fault. Yep, I said it. We did it. We broke the world. Our rebellion against God and His plan has set in motion irreparable damage, that is, irreparable from our limited standpoint. Wars, disease, rape, injustice, famine, and natural disasters are all a part of this broken world. This world needs restoration. I've come to the conclusion that the message and mission of Jesus is the only answer for this. He is the only one who can save this world. And He is doing it. The great part is that it’s not all up to me or you. Jesus' mission will be accomplished. God is heroic and courageous. There is something deep within us that longs to be that hero. It longs for a vital mission. Little boys dream of being heroes and saving the day. So too God, our Hero, is now in the process of saving the day. We are made in the image of that God. So I say Hooah to Jesus! I say we will bear His image with honor and live according to Micah 6:8 and do justly and love mercy and walk humbly with our God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One year out- Remembering Dale Beatty

A soldier dispenses his views!