Write it down!

I just started a new book by Don Miller who is something of an enigma in the Christian world these days. I've been reading his stuff for about five years, starting with "Blue Like Jazz" and then "Searching for God knows what", both I highly recommend. His new book I have only read one sentence. I was sitting in my "crack house" here in Iraq pondering the dust storm that is upon us, reading through some Old Testament History books and simultaneously checking Twitter. I think that I might be quite mad at times. But my friend Amanda Brown posted on Twitter that she was reading Don's new book. I like Don, he's irreverent and I think the world needs a bit of that, so I downloaded his latest book called "A Million Miles in a Thousand Places: What I Learned While Editing My Life". I like the title! I have read about one paragraph and am hooked already. He states at the begining of his book that we forget so much of our lives, that we don't even remember half of a half of it. He also stated that he has a friend that writes down everything he can remember, even if it was dropping an ice cream cone when he was 7. So, before I read any more of this book, I remembered something and am going to write it down. It means nothing to you if you are reading it, but this is my blog and the rules are, I get to write what I want!

One the thing I remember was wanting to be a cub scout. I loved the uniforms! There was the blue shirt with all the cool badges. But there was also the neckerchief with a shiny gold ring that had the cub scout emblem on it that held that garment into place. I wanted nothing more than to wear that uniform looking all cool and doing my cub-scout stuff.  I had dreams of winning the box car derby. I had visions of learning how to survive in the wilderness, eating wild plants, and hunting animals and cooking them on a stick over a fire. I was 6. I remember my mom took me to the local cub scout den up the street at my neighbor Bill Harper's house. They had the meeting in the garage that they had remodeled into a play room. I remember thinking, "Wow, there used to be a car in here...hmm"

I was ready for the adventure to begin. I suspect I was alot like Ralphie in a Christmas Story, wanting to save the world. I remember Bill's mom getting all of us together to announce what our most awesome project would be. What could it be? Rock-climbing?, learning to use a compass? A river trip?

The announcement came and my hopes and dreams were dashed on the rocks of the mundane. Our project was.....to build a bird house!

I think I quit about 2 weeks later. All the cool stuff was for the older kids!

So...there's my memory for today so I won't forget it.

Maybe you remember something too about your life....don't just sit there thinking how silly Brad was...go write it down now before you forget!

Thanks Amanda and Don

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One year out- Remembering Dale Beatty

A soldier dispenses his views!

The songs of life- Thanks to mom