A Meaningful Memorial Day





Most days I ride my bicycle with a group of friends and there's chatter and joking and all around good fellowship. But some days, I enjoy a solitary ride on roads I seldom ride. This Memorial Day weekend I've been with my family in Boone celebrating my mom's 80th birthday. There's been a lot of laughter, food and this spring for some reason, copious amounts of rain. Its been a green, muddy spring in Western NC. So when the forecast in Watauga County says sun, I try to take advantage of that.

Yesterday that was the case and I headed up the mountain near our family home here in Boone. Riding solo, there is a lot of time to think and I had a lot of names running through my head. Names like Alan, Ben, Steven, Mike, Ben, Marty, Joseph, Aaron, Dusty, LaDavid, Bryan, Jeremiah and Dale. Lots more are there taking up space in my head.

As I rode and looked at the scenery around me I thought of those names, the circumstances of the loss, the funerals and the families who continue to hurt. Riding alone I revisited friendships and conversations, smiles and quirky eccentric stories.


I've been reading a book by Rob Morgan on Psalm 23. This psalm is read at almost every military funeral I've ever officiated or attended. As I road my bike, pushed up steep hills, felt the pain in my legs, remembered my friends, I also remembered that the Lord is my Shepherd. He's keeping watch, aware of every detail. He's leading, He's preparing, He's with me and you in all of life's shadows and valleys. And He has made a dwelling place for those who know and trust Him. Promises that have been backed up by a cross and an empty tomb.

I rode on pondering these things and on the Blue Ridge Parkway, I found a particularly scenic spot to snap a picture or two as you can see from the photos here.

While there I noticed an older gentleman sitting in a camp chair gazing out over the spine of the Blue Ridge mountains. I noticed also that he had a desert tan ball cap on with an American flag, the tell tale sign of a Veteran. He looked over at me, it was just the two of us and greeted me warmly. His name was Jim. It was about a perfect morning and we both agreed we couldn't get much better.


Small talk about bicycles and mountain breezes turned more profound as he shared with me that he comes to that particular place a few times a year to visit with his wife. She passed away a little over 2 years ago and when they were just young kids they used to rent a cabin not far from the overlook. It was her favorite place. Two years ago, Jim spread her ashes over that very spot. They had been married for 31 years.

I felt bad about interrupting his time there, but he continued to talk as if introducing me to her. He told me of his days in the Army 50 years ago and how when he left Korea he cried because he was leaving his buddies behind.

It was a stunning, random, God ordained meeting.

I asked him if I could pray for him and he gratefully accepted. In my prayer I echoed what I had been reminded of in my reading, "The Lord is my Shepherd".  The Lord is your Shepherd...Jim.

After the Amen, we shook hands and I thanked him for his service, for the privilege of meeting him and then I told Jim, "I hope you have a meaningful Memorial Day"

With that, I pedaled off leaving him staring out over the valley....smiling.

May your Memorial Day be filled with meaning this year.


The Lord is my shepherd;
    I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows;
    he leads me beside peaceful streams.
    He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
    bringing honor to his name.
Even when I walk
    through the darkest valley,[a]
I will not be afraid,
    for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
    protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
    My cup overflows with blessings.
Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
    all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord
    forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One year out- Remembering Dale Beatty

A soldier dispenses his views!