It is with profound sadness that I report the death of 1SG Bob Kuehne. He was killed in a motorcycle accident this week. Its hard to put into words that typify him. I would say he was rough, tough, gentle, kind, abrasive, honest, hilarious, deep, simple, real and just a good friend. Chaplains have strained relationships with 1SG’s sometimes, but not me and Top. He would always ask me, “Chaplain, have you prayed for me today?” I’d always say, “Top, you need prayer!” He laughed out loud and long. He loved his daughter more than anything. She is blessing too. I had the privilege of meeting her at this tragic time. His brother, Chuck, is a retired Army LTC and looking at him you can’t miss the family resemblance. We spent all day today praying and crying and remembering Bob. It is a remarkable honor to be with people at this time in their lives. To be with a family at such a devastating time, to try to bring some healing, some comfort, is a task that I dearly love and hate at the same time. Romans 12:15 brings this ministry of presence home, “Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep” Its a good thing to be with people. Its funny how all the stuff that seemed important a couple of days ago just fades. So today we weep and we mourn. We also remember our friend Bob. I’m a better person for having known him.
Dangerous Assumptions
Back in the 80s as a teenager I worked summers driving a delivery truck for Tarheel Lumber company here in western central NC. It was a great job for burley teenager, carrying hundreds of pieces of Sheetrock, plywood and every other building product known to man. My family was steeped in the building business, both my dad and grandfather were general contractors. Taking raw materials and producing a home for someone to live in still intrigues me. It's very american! My delivery job took me all over our county and to numerous job sites. The most coveted delivery were the simple ones. A bundle of OSB sheathing was my favorite. 60 pieces of 4x8 plywood all wrapped in a bundle. Easy delivery for the driver. Wrap a chain around the bundle, secure with a "dog" come-along, raise the bed and watch drop off the back of the truck....then pull away and head back to the shop, too easy. However, sometimes things go awry. One day I delivered a bundle of this stuff to a contractor ...
Comments