Mundane ain't so bad


  


I read all the time on Twitter and Facebook posts of all the awesome things that people are doing, especially my friends in ministry. I'm proud to know so many people making a massive impact on the world around them. I have been involved in the past in very public ministry, speaking before large crowds, teaching, travelling the world. I regret none of it. 

But after being back home from Iraq for over a month now I made some decisions about my time over the next few years. One of the things that I decided through prompting from the Lord was to step back and just be. Just be a man, a husband, a dad. To just be in the mundane of life and by so doing the mundane becomes so much more, the mundane moments become sacred and holy.

Let me illustrate: Today I spent the whole day with my kids. Tammy had to work so we drove up to Boone, N.C. to visit with my mother. Jack caught his first fist with a fly rod. We had awesome pizza at the Mellow Mushroom. I took a 30 minute nap. I had a conversation with a landscaper about fishing and the beauty of NC. We drove home on the Blue Ridge Parkway and stopped at the over looks, even the boring ones. We played the "cow game" on the way home, counting cows on either side of the road and if you pass a cemetery on your side all your cows are dead. Tammy was waiting for us with dinner. A pipe burst in my basement and we had to get a temporary fix till the plumber could get here tomorrow.

Then we all went out back and did a nasty Crossfit workout together at 9:20 P.M. We got bit by mosquitoes We laughed at how tired we got, just the 4 of us. We laughed at the way Tori did her ballerina V-ups.

It was an amazing day. We didn't have an avalanche of "spiritual" discovery. We didn't change the course of history. But we experienced something amazing, the love and fellowship of a family and the closeness of God in the mundane of life...and I wouldn't trade it for all the notoriety or fame or money or awards the world has to offer. It was a mundane Wednesday and it was amazing. I hope Thursday is mundane too!

Comments

Laura said…
This is an awesome post. Who knows what wonderful things your kids learned just by you hanging out with them. Days like that are the ones kids remember the most.

Popular posts from this blog

One year out- Remembering Dale Beatty

A soldier dispenses his views!