Happy Birthday Little Jack


Saturday is my little boy’s birthday. He’ll be 7 years old. Its hard to believe that. The day of his birth is so fresh in my mind. I remember doing a Bible study with my friend Will on my back porch at the time. I remember him looking through the sliding glass door of my house and saying, “Hey dude, I think there is something wrong with your wife!” Sure enough, something was definitely up…it was labor. Tammy was gripping the cushion on our couch so hard that I was sure the fabric would tear. Now my wife is a baby producing machine. Some women have labors that last hours into days, not Tammy. She was just ready to be that little boy’s mom. We jumped in the car and sped down I-40 to Iredell Memorial Hospital and about 90 minutes after Will’s statement of the obvious, Jack appeared in the world. We didn’t know whether he was boy or a girl prior to his birth and what a surprise. I remember that day wondering what he would be like. I remember looking at him and trying to figure out how was going to raise him to be a man. I’ve found that it is a tough job, but one I cherish. He is a spirited little guy. He’s never met a stranger. He smiles all the time. He’s big like his dad. He lives his life as if he’s a character in the Lord of the Rings. He’ll strap on his bow and arrow and tuck his stick (or sword) in his belt and he’s off to defend all that is good and right. I’m not sure what kind of man he’ll turn out to be. I’m not sure that I’ve always done the right “daddy” stuff. I’ve been away a lot in the last year with the Army. But I believe with all my heart that my little boy will be a great man someday. I think he’ll make a difference in this world and I believe that the world is a better place because the Lord has placed him here at this time. I’m proud to be his daddy. Happy 7th Birthday Jack. I love you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One year out- Remembering Dale Beatty

A soldier dispenses his views!