In my job I get to meet some outstanding folks and a few characters. Some of the characters are also outstanding folks. The one I speak of today is pictured here(right). His name is Drill SGT Settles. I first met him in Florida at our orientation weekend for the 2/485th back in May. Since then we have had many opportunities to talk and get to know each other. He is the son of Christian missionaries (automatic cool points for me). He has also spent time on active duty with the “Old Guard” up in DC. Those are the guys that take care of all the funerals at Arlington. It’s a special job. He’s also a hard Drill SGT. He is the loudest Drill SGT as well. He can run way faster than me so I stay out of his group in the morning runs. He’s rough on our soldiers, not in a bad way. The young soldiers that come to us need it, desperately. He makes me laugh a lot too. This blog is not an attempt to build him unnecessarily, but an attempt for all that read to get to know the people that work the 18 hour days and sweat and grow weary right along with our soldiers. He’s pictured with another one of Charlie CO’s Drill SGTs. His name is DS De Los Reyes. That’s a mouthful for me so I call him De Los. He’s not real loud, but he doesn’t need to be. He carries a quiet confidence about him that soldiers respect. Both temperaments are assets to our training process. It’s a privilege to be their Chaplain. I pray for them to be good trainers and good men. May God continue to bless all of my Drill SGTs!

KJ 2 Timothy 2:3 You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

Comments

Anonymous said…
DS Settles is a great man, I love him! Great job baby!

Popular posts from this blog

The songs of life- Thanks to mom

One year out- Remembering Dale Beatty